Monday, December 15, 2008

Day of Rest...

What a week! Without question, the Holiday Booty Buster Challenge has been a terrific change of pace. Reinvigorating to say the least. It got me back on my bike finally, but more importantly it helped me focus on the little things I ALWAYS neglect: stretching, weights and core-work. Granted, I began making an attempt to commit to doing such work just before hearing about HBBC, but I feel like I have totally embraced these fine details in the past week. Assigning point values to such things is brilliant as it is relatively easy to collapse on the floor while watching an episode of Deadwood to stretch or do a medicine ball workout, and when 15 minutes of weights earns you a point, it's not hard to grab the dumbbells after getting home from work. It may be wishful thinking or the week's worth of such strength building I bagged before HBBC commenced, but I genuinely feel stronger thanks to these shorter sessions.

HBBC has also caused Abby and me to push each other in ways we haven't. We have decided not to compete against each other, but generally speaking, we've had fun checking in and seeing where each stands at the end of the day. This has also helped make the winter training more enjoyable than usual. 

So, in all, I'd have to say HBBC has been a smashing success. While I was somewhat disappointed at taking the day entirely off today, my body was telling me it was time after earning 71 points last week. I don't expect to do as well this week with snow and rain coming for much of the rest of the week and a variety of other social and school related events on the horizon, but who knows:) That's the true joy of this challenge; it has made me find time for my body in ways I haven't before.

2 comments:

RunToTheFinish said...

It's weird how just knowing others are participating is enough to get me to do a few more minutes of stretching or cool down longer to get a few more points!

Brent said...

Absolutely. For someone who typically trains alone, this has helped spice things up.