Monday, July 15, 2013

Too Smart for Our Own Good

This report is a bit overdue. To be honest, it may be the sour taste that is left in my mouth after Untamed New England’s 24 hour race in the wilds of northern Maine last month that has sapped my desire to write a report. We all had been looking forward to this one, and while the drive up with Abby on Friday was beautiful and enthralling, highlighted by a moose sighting that had an excited Abby shrieking with joy, our drive home was a fair bit more somber.

Abby and I met up with Brian and Jason at Sugarloaf ski resort and outdoor center, the site of our demise last year when my bikeexploded, turning a 4-5 hour bike loop into a 9 hour hike-a-bike that kept us from staying on the full course. Sugarloaf loomed above us, and we mentally prepped ourselves for what would be a grueling 24 hours, culminating with another trek up the lofty peak, this time from the back side. Little did we know that for the second year in a row, the wilderness of the Carrabassett Valley would prove unlucky for team GOALS ARA, though unlike last year when mechanicals killed us, this year we struggled from pure human-error.

The race started off well with a peaceful paddle down the Kennebec. After a stretch of ripples and flowing water, the river pooled into a long lake with loons and silent Maine woods along the banks. Abby and I regaled Brian and Jason with stories of packrafts, sleep deprivation and wildlife sightings from 2012, and we came off leg 1 in good spirits for the first big trek west to Flagstaff Lake. This leg was unquestionably my favorite leg of the race. The terrain was new from 2012, the lakes and ponds were beautiful, and we got off trail a few times and summited a peak with nice views of Flagstaff for the final CP. We made good time, nailed the nav and came into the TA minutes after the leaders, Untamed New England, started off on their bikes for leg 3. Considering that they are usually out of sight after the start, we were thrilled with our progress.

It was at that point that our race began to dissolve. The first bike control was along a trail. We knew this. We also gambled a bit rationalizing that this trail would be much slower than riding the road that was north of the control. We knew it COULD get nasty, but we risked a whack, electing to ride the road and whack to the point. It didn’t take long to recognize that this was a disastrous decision. Not only did we drift off our heading, but Abby ended up helmet deep in a marsh, with Jason not much better, as I was falling into some watery hole further on. We did finally reach the control, and made it back to our bikes a bit more drama-free, but we lost a good 30-40 minutes it seemed. Maybe more.

The rest of the ride was relatively straight forward along logging roads and then an unmapped network of trails to a new Maine hut sitting atop a mountain with sweeping views over the Carabasset Valley. Lovely spot, nice break, and then a slog down the mountain for two foot controls only to go straight back up the trail. No real nav and rather disappointing though it did give us a sense of where we stood compared to everyone else as we saw most of the teams ahead of us coming back up and a number of good teams still behind us despite our adventure in the swamps coming down as we trekked back up.


Following the O-section, we headed out for another bike leg, and much like the first one, it was a straight forward haul, this time all on roads and jeep track. A long section of it involved a long climb up and over a ridge and then a long, rocky descent down to the final TA. Here we would begin a grueling trek up into the mountains behind Sugarloaf to the finish. We felt good about our time to finish the full course since we had cleared the time-cut off with hours to spare. So it was that I decided I was tired of friendly nav, and I decided to mix it up. Take the team somewhere no one had been for decades. Rather than following the leader I just had to make things more interesting. I wish I hadn’t.

We made good time on the roads and started off up the mountain, riding and pushing as the road allowed and as our legs permitted. We made decent time, reaching a split where the main road continued on while another, less traveled jeep track veered off. On the map, there was a split that lined up well. According to this bit of information, the split would shortly come back together with the main road. Well, I made the decision to take the less traveled trail. I will not publically defend this choice though there were many weird things that helped me rationalize this, but I will apologize once again to my teammates. I will then apologize again for being comfortable with what this jeep track did next, though I swear to the AR gods that my compass checks seemed to confirm all was well. When the jeep track ended and we ended up  on a narrow, very overgrown track that was barely perceptible, we collectively decided to stay on as it was seemingly heading in a direction that would get us back to the main road. We knew that we were off track by this point, but we elected to go for it, believing we would break out on the road and save time instead of turning around and going back out.

Well, this went on for much too long. Why someone didn’t put their foot down I don’t know, but when we ended up finally being unable to follow the old track, we finally cried uncle and turned around. It was about as demoralizing as any experience I’ve had in an AR, and it got even worse when we rolled into the TA and were given the following information: things were going slower than expected. They had instituted a new time cutoff at 3 AM to start the trek. We could still go out since it was 2:53, but we would have seven hours to tackle the trek, and it was a bear. We knew it would be since Abby and I had been up in those mountains the year before and it was now raining, which could make the steep final climb all but impossible. It seemed more likely that we would end up DNFing rather than making it.

We conferred; Jason and Brian were keen, and Abby was willing but clear that she thought it unwise. I spent a minute or two concentrating on the maps, making some calculations, and was firm that we could try but that my strong feeling was we would not make it. With the 2+ hours we lost on my misguided decision to practice bike-whacking and worse on the way to the TA would have allowed us to finish the full-course, but we decided to head out for a long 20 mile road ride back to the finish. As it turned out, the winner, Untamed New England took just under 7 hours. This made us feel better about our decision as we certainly would not have bested them on this leg considering they nailed the nav and are simply faster than we are, but almost a month later, I’m still having nightmares about this race.

Ultimately, it was rather simple. We approached this race based on our experience in Untamed expedition races where creativity and risks often pay off and nav is rarely as straight forward as it looks. We took a risk or two when at the end of the day, this race was far more straight forward. When the map said to stay on the trail, stay on the trail. When you’re on a road, make sure you use the road, no matter what. Still, I’ll take the lion’s share of the blame for this one as I should have known better at several times. While our performance, or lack of it…or my lack of it…marred the race, we were also a bit bummed that the race was so straight forward. While Untamed New England expedition races are renowned for challenging navigation, route choice, and interesting features, this race didn’t quite offer the same. To be sure, a trek over Sugarloaf would have been great, and we missed that, and there were some spectacular views from the hut at the O section, but after the first leg, it just felt like a lot of distance on roads without a whole to think about, and even the first trek was mainly on trails and roads. By no means will this dissuade me from Untamed events in the future as I know this event was meant to be more accessible to less experienced racers. And considering that I couldn’t even navigate a bike ride along a road, I probably shouldn’t be writing anything at all, but I would have liked a bit more off trail travel…though I would have liked it without my bike, and when I was meant to be in the woods without road or path.

All this said, there is nothing like the great northern woods, and while the race was one of the more disappointing ones (performance-wise) in my racing experience, I can’t complain about a day out in the beautiful wilds of New England. Nothing like it in the eastern half of the country, and I’ll be eager to get back up there for some redemption at some point. And on a final, more positive note, our friends from NYARA once again adopted Jonathan and together they did a fair bit better than we did, finishing 7th overall.
 
*All pictures from the first trek. Left the camera in transition to bike. Maybe that was the problem...

No comments: