Last year, my racing season was full including two sprints, three 12 hour races, five 24-30 hour races (including our DNF at Nationals:( ), a 6 hour rogaine, the two-day snowgaine and 15 or so standard orienteering events. This year, it FEELS like the racing isn’t happening, and I am SO eager to get out there in those woods with maps and friends and feel the burn. Last year we had an early 24 hour race to start the season, but no such race is in the cards this year. The traditional first race of the season is usually the local GOALS 6 hour race, but my teammate, Chris, and I stepped into the role of course design, so no racing in that either.
Abby and I did race again in the annual Snowgaine, but I don’t have my first adventure race until the end of April and I am beginning to go a bit stir crazy! While I was then eyeing two other races for May to help build for the summer (I like to have at least one race a month), I decided against the Odyssey 24 in part due to cost and in part due to its proximity to two other 24s and my first multi day race. Seemed like a bit much, but then the other May race was postponed until the fall. And so, I will make it all the way to summer with only one Adventure Race, and it’s killing me!!
That said, Abby and I are nearing our second Anniversary, and I had the idea of running a marathon together (literally). It sounded like a good idea, and we got excited, both about the prospects of doing that and maybe making a tradition of it. We did our research and began considering other options as well, namely trail runs. There are in fact several marathons across the nation over Memorial Day weekend when we celebrate, but we became hesitant about some of the travel logistics.
But as we started to dig deeper and open our minds to creating a tradition of some big race or outing (we talked about a long-distance bike ride as well), we found the perfect solution for this year, and it helps offset my light spring racing schedule as well! Instead of a marathon or trail run, we will be signing up for a 12 hour rogaine. Starts at noon, ends at midnight. It’s only an hour or so away, it’ll give me something to shoot for in May, and it will also help me prepare for two 24s I have planned for June and the 72 hour race in July. And what better way to spend an anniversary then running, shuffling, hiking and crawling around in the woods for 12 hours looking for little orange flags?
So, four weeks until the Yough and my first AR of the season. I might not get as much racing in this year, but hopefully it will be a good season. And while I might not race in my favorite racing month of May, here’s hoping the Michaux Memorial Day Rogaine is the start of a long tradition of successful anniversary runs, races, bike rides or whatever else Abby and I decide to do together to celebrate another successful year of marriage.
Now I just need to find my new bike…
3 comments:
Hey, I was going to write about this today!
How's the bike part collection coming along? Any decisions on the 29er front?
What a nice tradition! Though I still look forward to watching you kill a marathon one day :)
Post a Comment