In 2012, I had my first experience packrafting in
preparation for and during Untamed New England. I researched extensively and,
unwilling to spend as much as we’d need to for the Rolls Royce of Packrafting
(Alpacka), Abby and I settled on packrafts from Flyweight a respectable,
lightweight boat that sounded like it was one small step down from Alpacka.
One long four day race later, we both said we’d never race
in anything but an Alpacka again. The Flyweight wasn’t a bad boat, but as it
turned out, nothing compares to an Alpacka, nothing. Especially when you are
racing and time actually matters.
So it was that Abby and I settled on investing in a new
packraft for Expedition Alaska. We elected to go all in this time and we began
saving for our new boat back in the winter. Finally, this past week it arrived,
the incredible Alpacka Gnu, a two person raft…or rather canoe…black as
midnight, sleek as our dog Lupine, a true marvel of maritime engineering.
I had actually pulled out the old flyweight a week before
for a training day, in which I logged just about 2.5 miles in 95 minutes or so.
I had a blast, but I was eager to see how the Gnu would perform by comparison.
So, yesterday, after finishing work, I walked out behind my
school, inflated our new boat and jumped in. I had no idea what to expect, and
I had about 4 hours maximum before I had to come back to pick Zoe up from
daycare, so I had staged my car a ways down-creek unsure if I could make it all
the way home, a distance of 8-9 miles by boat and another couple of miles by
foot home once I’d packed up (turns out, I could have done it).
Immediately I knew we had invested in the right boat. Even
without Abby in the bow, I was moving like a hare compared to my old boat, and
the bow tracked as easily as if I was paddling a standard touring kayak. The Gnu
took the small rapids on the creek easily, it responded instantly and
precisely, and less than 50 minutes after starting, I’d covered the same
distance I had in my old boat the week before.
Two hours later, I floated across the boundary of
Wissahickon, the iconic urban park in the northern limits of Philadelphia. I
had been having a blast, and as I floated within 100 meters of my car, I
elected to continue on for a while longer before returning to the car by foot.
I also happened to notice a park ranger’s SUV stopped on Forbidden Drive, the
all-purpose trail perched above the creek. For a moment, I paused, something
telling me to pull off and get out.
No worries, I told
myself. If the ranger was concerned he or she surely would have already called
out. I continued my journey down the beautiful Wissahickon creek.
But half a mile later, there were the rangers, one of them
beckoning me to shore.
A long questioning ensued:
“Where did you start?” the lead ranger did a double take
when I told her I started 6 or so miles up-creek.
“Where are you getting out?” she didn’t seem to care that my
car was within a few minutes of us at that moment.
“How long is your boat?” she inquired, eying my strange, inflatable
craft. I swear she was willing it to grow to 14 or so feet when I estimated it
at seven or eight.
“Do you know people die in here all the time?” I nodded,
privately steaming as I know that’s not exactly true. Every few years, yes,
people die…jumping off a cliff. Something I’d never do under the specific
circumstances surrounding the local swim hole, “Devil’s Pool”. And every once
in a while, someone does die boating…in the Schulykill River…when they go over
the dams…I wasn’t on the river. And I don’t particularly like paddling over
dams.
Still, the writing was on the wall, so I merely nodded,
quietly apologizing as I said I was not aware boating was not allowed within
the confines of Fairmount Park. I really didn’t know that.
And then she asked me for my PFD. My whistle. My throw bag.
I stared at her. I had a whistle, even tooted it for her. But the rest? Nope. I
knew I was in trouble with the PFD. But the throw bag? I guess if I fell out I
could have thrown it to myself…
And so, I was issued a 75 dollar ticket. When I asked the
second ranger, who seemed chagrined as his colleague brusquely read me my
rights to either accept the charge or contest it, an action necessitating an
appearance before a judge…When I asked him in a deflated voice if a warning
wouldn’t cut it, he responded sheepishly: “Sorry, you don’t have a PFD. You could
have killed yourself. Have to give you a ticket.” Shame on me. I almost asked
him if I could simply pay myself since I owed it to myself not to be so brash.
Instead I bit my tongue again.
He was nice enough. He was genuinely impressed with both the
distance I’d paddled but also by the boat, it’s inflation bag, the fact that it
fit in my backpack. He wanted to chat. But I think he could see that I wasn’t
exactly thrilled with the bill his partner was filling out for me, and he
finally ambled back up to the truck.
I felt about as deflated as my brand new packraft, which
was, by this point stashed away in my pack with my paddle and the rest of my
kit. I sat on the grass, eating a bit of food, pondering a world where a solo
boater gets ticketed for simply enjoying being outside. I wasn’t hurting
anyone, and in fact, from looks and questions I get from bystanders when I boat
(anywhere, in any boat) most people seem enthralled by the daydream of drifting
down local waterways in watercraft, an escape so few people actually get to
enjoy.
Instead, I was read my rights, fined and sent on my way with
lectures about drowning, hypothermia, and risk-taking.
I regret not having the PFD. I understand that laws exist
saying boaters must have them in the same way that a passenger in a car must
wear a seat belt. But to be treated as if I had committed a crime (maybe I did
technically?) when I was simply basking in the great outdoors? I was left
fuming for the rest of the day. Fuming and depressed.
But then I’d remember how wonderful the Alpacka was and how
wonderful it will be to race with it in Alaska where people encourage you to
get out there and enjoy the natural wonders, big and small, that the world
offers. As much as I enjoyed my old Flyweight, the Gnu is something else, and
it’s oh so fast. And now I’m wondering if that’s why the state rangers pulled
me over. I was just floating too damned fast.
No comments:
Post a Comment