Frustrated and disappointed by a winter of training ruined
by illness, I had to bail out on the team and the Rev3 Epic a few weeks ago due
to pneumonia. Not only was I bummed not to do the first real AR of the season
with the squad, but I was worried as I was relying on that 24hour+ event for
training for Expedition Alaska which is now looming on the horizon. Shortly
after the race, it came to my attention that friend, competitor and occasional teammate,
Mark and his partner Teresa were running their first rogaine, the Get Stoked Rogaine, down in Stokesville,
Virginia. I was unsure about whether I could do it considering I hadn’t been
training for over a month, but I was desperate to get something long in for
Alaska.
I signed up for the 24 hour solo, just in case I ended up
dropping out and because I wanted to go at my own pace if I wasn’t feeling well.
I finally started to train again on the weekend of the Rev3 while the team was
racing, and it was evident I hadn’t been training much at all since the
Snowgaine back at the beginning of March. A good week of training passed, and
then…I got sick again.
Friday Morning:
So, the day before the race, I found myself in the doctor’s
office for a follow up, my 143rd since being diagnosed with
pneumonia, and I awaited declaration of my doom. “You still have some fluid in
there,” I expected the doctor to say, but amazingly, she declared me fine,
though she warned me to take it easy over the weekend. I smiled, promised I
would, and I bolted for Virginia.
8:30 PM, Saturday
night:
I was rather dejected. I had planned to stop midway through
the race, put on some warm, dry clothes for the evening, feast, and give Abby a
ring to tell her I was OK, that I missed her, and to check on Zoe. I stripped
off my sweat-soaked clothes and eased into something a little more comfortable,
I grabbed a bite to eat, and I pulled out the phone. All day long I had been
traversing high ridges and summits, but over the last couple of hours I had
dropped into one of the only low sections of the course, and surely enough, I
didn’t get reception.
My heart sank.
My lungs had held up surprisingly well, but the fact that I
hadn’t run in 6+ weeks had become quite obvious and the hellish terrain had
taken a toll on my body. I was tired, low, and with darkness setting in, I was
getting lonely, the thought of racing for 12 more hours in this terrain on my
own, a daunting reality.
Additionally, I had just done a thorough assessment of my situation,
and I didn’t like it. As always, I had laid out a course before starting that
had me visiting all the points. Unlike most races in which I start off thinking
I’d take a shot at clearing the course, I knew this wouldn’t be happening. Not
in my condition, and not when looking at the enormous terrain.
Nonetheless, I had started off on my route, figuring I’d
adapt as necessary after several hours getting a sense of the land. Well, after
12 hours, I had dropped about seven of the 60 points, but I looked at the
northern half hopelessly. The terrain was even harder up there, there were
fewer points, and ultimately, I wasn’t sure I’d get back around to the finish.
Not to mention that my relatively slow pace would diminish even further with
the fall of night. I’d be able to bail out and just work my way back on trails,
but I’d get nothing for the effort.
I’d come down to the rogaine simply to get in a training day
and some nav practice. I felt like I had accomplished this, and no matter how
much I looked at it, I wasn’t going to score massively higher considering how
much work had to be done. I decided to take a shot at a nearby point, and after
30 minutes of painfully slow progress over relatively easy terrain, off-trail
in the darkness, I decided I was not going to roam around in those woods by
myself at night. I could have found the points, but I estimated it would take
me an extraordinary amount of time to work through even these simple,
closely-packed points at night, so I headed back out to the road.
Ultimately, I had really shot myself in the foot. By being
so aggressive and mostly sticking to my plan, a long return to base from my
current location would only allow me to net a handful of points. I had
crisscrossed the road several times earlier on and had bagged most of the points
accessible from the road already. I would be marching home with little
opportunity to score more points. I had a couple of opportunities for some long
out and backs for a handful of additional controls, but it just didn’t feel
worth it.
So, I nabbed one more point and then traveled (for the first
time all day) with another racer, a solo racer, Kevin, from North Carolina. We
chatted for half an hour or so and then went our different ways, he looking to
score a few more points I had found, and I deciding to trek back to the finish
with two or three more points available to me. I rolled into camp five hours
early, another reason for my decision as I worried that if I stayed out, the
five-six hour drive home to Philly without any sleep would be a nightmare to
say the least. This way, I was able to rest for several hours before driving
north, and indeed I made it home for dinner with Abby and Zoe.
8:20 AM, Saturday
morning:
The map was impressive. The terrain relentless. The checkpoints
challenging. I set off at a trot, made quick work of my first point and then
ran into a bear, 20 minutes into the race. Not a bad start, I thought! I worked
out a brief bobble (always good to get them over early), and then I took off,
working through a number of points cleanly with a large owl sighting a bonus
for the morning. The woods were beautiful, the ridgelines and summits majestic
with sweeping views of the grand hills and mountains of the Blue Ridge, the
creeks singing and cascading down steep reentrants and along serene valley
floors.
Course directors Mark and Teresa had outdone themselves,
setting a sprawl of points while also hiding welcome treats at random controls.
Additionally, they had hung five “gold” coins out on the course, and racers who
found one could turn it in for 20 dollars at the end of the event. Both were
brilliant ideas that added just a bit more fun to the race. I wanted to get out
early that morning in part to maximize daylight, but also to beat the crowds
out for a chance at a gold coin. My plan worked for the latter goal. I guess it
worked for the first one too, though I didn’t feel like it got me much.
I was in heaven for the first four or five hours, knocking
points off and loving being out in these beautiful woods. But that terrain was
also chewing my under-prepared legs up, and as I passed hour six, the climbs,
often ranging from 500-1000 feet, were becoming more and more daunting. I had
started to drop points, thinking I’d make up ground and time, but instead I
continued to find myself unable to catch up to the course. I expected that by
the halfway point, I would have put myself in a position to head to the northern
half of the course. I had originally set out hoping to clear 50-55 of the 60 controls.
I had since downgraded that estimate to 50, then to 45.
After deciding to beeline back to the car and my sleeping
bag, I knew I wouldn’t even come close to hitting that final estimate, but I
surprisingly enjoyed the long return trek. I had four or five points to break
it up, but still, I was alone on a long stretch of rolling roads. Normally, I
would have struggled to stay awake on such a trek, my feet aching, my muscles
tired. But tonight, the moon was full, or nearly so, and one of my absolute
favorite things to do in an overnight event is to go without light if possible.
So, while I turned the light on when bagging points off the road or trail, I
spent much of the night, hiking in nothing more than the pale moonlight,
listening to the night sounds in the dark trees around me, and happy with the
day’s effort.
Sunday:
The drive home went better than had I stayed out for the
entire 24 hours. Despite coming in 5 hours early, I still managed to finish
third. Considering my goals and the condition I was in, I was satisfied. Though
knowing one more point would have landed me in second and five more hours would
have probably allowed for the win was certainly a reminder that anything can
happen in such a race.
I also was happy with the fact that I felt better than I expected
considering my recent health issues and the long stretch without much activity.
I know I won’t be where I ideally would like to be for Alaska, but I feel more
confident about at least surviving it.
And two new practices will hopefully become standard
operating procedure for me in future events: Abby had suggested I try Nuun.
Always resistant to anything but water on the course, I forgot to use it during
my first refill (I started with water). By the time I first used it, I was
fatigued and on a slow decline physically. I was surprised to find the Nuun refreshing
(I hadn’t enjoyed it much during my taste test the day before the race), and I also
noticed that the decline seemed to stop, if not revert to some degree. My
second new trick was the use of my stopwatch. I set it for 30 minutes, and
while I didn’t eat on every single 30 minute increment, I ate more consistently
than I probably ever have. Took a bit of effort to remember to reset it every
time I ate, but it seemed to also work wonders.
So, overall, a successful day of training. Mark and Teresa certainly
had put together quite the challenge. I ultimately reached 30 of the 60 points,
and I believe the winners, friends Marcy and John Beard from Vignette, bagged
40 or so. I guess that just means there are many more points to visit next
year!
No comments:
Post a Comment